THE EUROPEAN FUR TRADE HAS PROPOSED A NEW MILESTONE. WELFUR CERTIFICATION OF ALL EUROPEAN FUR FARMS WILL START IN 2017. AS OF 2020, KOPENHAGEN FUR WILL ONLY RECEIVE MINK SKINS AND FOX SKINS THAT ARE WELFUR CERTIFIED.
According to the ambitious plan, all 4,000 European fur farms must be certified by the end of 2020. Beginning December 2018, customers will be able to buy WelFur certified mink and fox skins at the auction houses. From 2020, they will only be able to purchase WelFur certified mink and fox skins.
With this historical step, the European fur trade is addressing demands from both the fashion industry and consumers - for transparency and documentation regarding animal welfare in fur production.
Fur Europe is the trade organisation behind the programme. It is the culmination of extensive and uncompromising work to make an independent, research-based welfare certification.
WelFur is based on EU standards with scientifically substantiated animal welfare indicators. Certification has been underway since 2009, when Fur Europe began the process. Since then, scientists from seven different European universities have spearheaded the collection of all existing scientific knowledge about what is important to mink welfare and wellbeing. Based on this, they developed the protocols which constitute the measuring system.
The project's starting point is Europe. Therefore, in order for a fur farm to be included, it must comply with the minimum requirements in the European Council recommendation. If this is not the case, as of 2020 a farm cannot be certified and will be excluded from selling via the auction houses. Compliance with the recommendation and proper farm management will be prerequisites for gaining access to the most important fur trade platforms in the world.
The independent assessment and certification will be conducted by Baltic Control. A company specializing in certification of animal husbandry.
Facts about WelFur
- The fur trade took the initiative to implement scientific expertise and develop measuring methods as a tool to document the animal welfare of fur animals.
- WelFur gives a nuanced and accurate picture of animals' health and welfare on the farm.
- Measurements and assessments will be made on points where any possible improvements will benefit both mink and farmers.
- WelFur's measuring methods for mink have been developed by seven universities in Europe.
- A good WelFur score gives a farmer a solid foundation to document a high level of animal welfare on his farm